Listen, I’m not one of those freaks who starts listening to Christmas music in October, but I like to give the genre it’s due when the time is right and friends, the time is very right. Here’s a list of the very best Christmas songs, so grab yourself some candy cane joe-joes and a cozy blanket and read on!
1. Baby It’s Cold Outside//Ella Fitzgerald- I know there are a thousand different versions of this song, but this one is the best. I hope my future husband knows the boy part and would like to sing it with me while we are making dinner (I have a lot of romantic notions about these kinds of things…)
2. O Little Town of Bethlehem//Bright Eyes- “The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight” I can’t even type that without crying. This song is so underrated as far as Christmas carols go. I don’t know where I found the Bright Eyes version but it’s stuck with me.
3. I’ll Be Home for Christmas// 98 Degrees- I know, I know. But go with me here. You probably haven’t thought about 98 Degrees since you had a poster of Jeff Timmons hanging on your bedroom wall in 6th grade (what happened to him?!) but they can harmonize like no other. Just trust me, okay? (Sorry the only video I could find of this song was from an ABC Christmas Special that aired in 2000, the song is 8 minutes in or you could watch the whole thing and revel in the glory of the early part of this century.)
4. Sister Winter// Sufjan Stevens- Sufjan does so many things right, Christmas music included. This song is good for listening to in mid-November when it’s technically still too early for Christmas music.
5. When Love Came Down// Point of Grace- I’m not even sorry about this because there are two times when it is okay to listen to really embarrassing music: when you’re working out and when it’s Christmas time.
6. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays// N’Sync- See above. (The music video is everything awesome and terrible at the exact same time.)
7. River// Joni Mitchell- Because who doesn’t feel like this at least once during the holidays.
8. Faeries// Mannheim Steamroller- Okay, I didn’t realize until college that most people universally consider Mannheim Steamroller to be awful. My parents LOVE them and they have been the soundtrack to our Christmas morning my entire life. Find a more epic song to unwrap gifts to- I DARE YOU.
9. Jingle Jingle Jingle//Rudolph Claymation Movie- Again, no idea that most people hate these. My dad and I LOVE them and still quote them and sing the songs. When ABC Family has an all day marathon of them you better believe I clear my schedule. What is wrong with you if you don’t like these? (Except the Little Drummer Boy, that one is weird)
10. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas// James Taylor- I think his music sounds so nostalgic on a normal day so it’s perfect for the holidays.
11. The Christmas Waltz// She & Him- A new addition but Zooey’s voice was made for the holidays.
What are some of y’all’s favorite Christmas songs?